Do you have a passion for plant research and breeding? And do you love the challenge of putting the research findings into practice? If so, you could be just the Specialist Molecular Breeding we are looking for to join our breeding department in Fijnaart!
How does your job as Specialist Molecular Breeding at Rijk Zwaan look like?
As Specialist Molecular Breeding, you play an essential part in innovating the breeding process for various open-field crops. The focus within this role is on marker-assisted breeding. You are responsible for the correct utilisation of the breeding software and translating the findings from the molecular research into the real-life breeding work. In your role, you bridge the gaps between the breeders, the Pre-breeding team, the genomic breeders and the software developers.
In concrete terms, your activities include: Defining the backcrossing strategy and priority for each crop and trait, in close collaboration with the Breeding and Pre-breeding team.
- Plan and manage the activities in backcross projects, such as cultivation, greenhouse and/or field facilities, labour and marker planning;
- Actively supporting breeding teams with the implementation of newly developed marker strategies and analysis tools;
- Analysis of the portfolio of backcross programmes per crop;
- Facilitating smooth knowledge sharing between Pre-breeding and the breeding teams;
- Implementing, optimising and administering the breeding software.
You are a proactive team player with strong communication skills and a hands-on attitude. You work in an organised manner and are happy to take the initiative in further streamlining the processes. Project-based working is right up your street.
In addition, your CV ticks the following boxes:
- An academic degree in breeding, Molecular Biology or (plant) Genetics;
- An affinity with software applications;
- Good command of the English language.
What can you expect from us?
The Specialist Molecular Breeding is a member of the Top Cross breeding team. The department is an enthusiastic team of 25 colleagues who work on breeding programmes aimed at developing the best varieties in Carrot, Celery, Radish, Corn salad and Asparagus.
In addition to an ever-growing international working environment, we are pleased to offer you:
- A permanent contract for minimum of 32 hours per week;
- An extensive onboarding programme (Sharing Rijk Zwaan);
- Various training opportunities through our Rijk Zwaan Academy;
- A good work-life balance.
Rijk Zwaan: your new employer?
In Fijnaart, West-Brabant, you can find a Research & Development location of Rijk Zwaan.
Rijk Zwaan is an international family company with a people-oriented culture. Rijk Zwaan is right at the start of the food chain. We develop vegetable varieties and sell the seeds produced from them globally.
From our strategic position we contribute to the world food supply. Everything we do is about growth. The growth of natural products that we export around the world. The growth of our company and above all the growth of our people: we give you every opportunity to use your own initiative and achieve your full potential.
Do you recognize yourself and would you like to start as soon as possible? You can address your application to Jeanet van Someren - van Lenthe (Advisor Human Resources).
As your application will be reviewed carefully by several colleagues, you will hear from us within two weeks. An assessment will be part of the procedure.
Research at Rijk Zwaan – where groundbreaking ideas matter
In order to guarantee the continuity of our products and to offer our customers better and more sustainable varieties, we are continuously researching in different areas to expand our knowledge. Watch this video to find out how.